How often should the exterior of a house be painted?
How Often Should You Paint Your House Exterior in Florida?
A fresh coat of paint is undoubtedly the fastest way to boost your home’s exterior curb appeal. One question that usually crops up when discussing exterior painting is how often you should paint your house? The answer varies due to several factors, including climate and the exterior finish, which we’ll discuss later in this post. Also, akin to other home revamp projects, it would be best to seek help from licensed painting contractors before starting a new paint job.
The Average Period for House Exterior Painting
So, how often should you paint your house exterior? Here are some estimates based on your home’s building materials:
- Stucco siding can go up to six years between paint jobs
- Wood siding requires repainting every three to five years
- Painted brick, if appropriately done, can go up to 15 years between paint jobs
- Aluminum siding is slightly more hardwearing than wood and can go for close to six years before needing a repaint job
- Cement fiberboard siding similar to painted brick is resilient and can last between ten and fifteen years between paint jobs
Factors That Determine How Often You Should Paint Your House Exterior
While building materials give a sense of how long the paint work will last before requiring painting services, other factors will influence the frequency.
- Climate – The climate in Florida is humid all year round. This weather causes paint to bubble, fade and bleach faster, especially if the paint on your home’s exterior is oil-based. Other climate conditions that will age your home’s paint include harsh winters, salty ocean breezes, and frequent rainstorms.
- Previous paint job – Another factor that influences how often you should paint your house exterior is the last paint job. High-quality paint jobs that maximize adequate preparation, good quality paint, and the correct number of coats can save time and paint costs in the long run.
- Home maintenance – Taking care of your home’s exterior through routine cleaning, immediate repairs, and pest control improves the paint’s lifespan.
- Personal preference – There are times when you don’t need to wait for the recommended period to paint a house exterior. It could be that you plan on putting the house up for sale or aesthetics reasons.
- HOA rules – HOA can dictate your home’s exterior color. For this reason, how often you paint your house will depend on the number of times the HOA decides on a new color scheme.
Signs That Your House Exterior Needs Repainting
If you are unsure whether your house needs a new paint job, here are a few signs that could help you determine whether it’s time to repaint.
- Wear and tear – It is standard for house paint to wear out over time. If you spot cracked paint or bubbling, these could be signs that nature is having an adverse impact on the paint work or that the quality of paint used wasn’t good. Either way, it would be a good idea to repaint.
- Fading – When your home’s exterior Hawthorne yellow turns into tacky yellow, this is an obvious sign that you need to reach out to one of the local paint companies in your area.
- Cracked caulk – Your home’s exterior caulk is essential in maintaining structural integrity through sealing any existing cracks. Therefore, if you notice splitting caulk, this is a sign your house’s paint is already worn and will require a fresh coat.
- Wood damage – Excess moisture can lead to soft spots or gaps inside your wood siding. We recommend calling professional painters immediately to prevent further damage.
A house exterior painting job is a time-consuming and complex job that requires expertise. Remember, only a professional can assess fittingly which paint color, quality, and coating rounds are needed to ensure your house stays in pristine condition. Tampa Bay Painting is a professional painting company with over 20 years serving the Tampa Bay community. We are a fully licensed company that specializes in residential interior and exterior painting in Tampa Bay. To learn more about what the team at Tampa Bay can do for you, reach out to us at (727) 800-5988 today to schedule a free consultation.